Sunday, May 5, 2013

Off Road excursion at Taledega

Sunday morning we gathered at Talledega Grand Prix Raceway in Alabama.  On our drive down from Indiana we encountered a lot of rain.  There was a lot of rain in the infield which I happened to find out by dropping a wheel and taking an off road excursion.  A local photographer who had a very hi tech camera got an amazing shot of me hitting the soggy infield and water flying 10 feet high.  It looked like my car was in the middle of a fountain.  If I can get the picture I will share it.  Obviously if you take this type of "shortcut" it doesn't help your times, so I had a terrible finish.  The afternoon was a little better but I was really sliding around.  I think I probably made a mistake on my tire choice this year, they don't seem to be getting the grip I had in the past.  Hopefully I will start to gain some positions on the next few days and start a climb back up in the standings.
It's hard to see in a small picture but the car is all splashed with dirt and grass from running through the infield. 
Here is one of the more interesting entries.  It is 2012 speedconcepts Mercedes that has been heavily modified.  To handle the supersized rear they built the fenders out about 2.5 inches each.  It is an awesome looking car and makes me think of cubic money.

After 407 miles we are now in New Orleans where we will compete at NOLA Motorsports Park tomorrow, the off to Daytona to run the same configuration they run for the Rolex 24 hour race.

No comments:

Post a Comment