Sunday, May 12, 2013

Dry Skid Pad Day, last event of 2013

Our last event of this years One Lap of America is the Dry Skid Pad competition.  We do two laps in a counterclockwise direction then two in clockwise direction.  The best lap in each direction counts and is divided by two and calculated to determine how much average g force you were able to maintain on the 200 foot diameter skid pad.  Last year this was one of my best events finishing 10th.  This year I finished 20th in the Dry Skid pad and it has me questioning my changing away from my tire choice from last year.  I ran the Michelin PS2 last year and the Continental DW this year and while the Continental was a great tire for the road and held up great for the treadwear it didn't give me quite the grip in the aggressive high speed driving manuvers on the road courses or on the Dry Skid Pad.

Between the tire choice, the problem with the ABS (anti lock brake system) and the cut oil cooler line, this won't end up as one of my best years, finishing in 37 place overall.  I do try to keep things in perspective and my motto is "Take your wins where you can".  Sometimes that "win" is beating someone you have set your sights on in an indivdual event.  This year that win will be that we were able to complete all the events with no DNF's (did not finish).  There were also a lot of entries that fared much worse the we did, with major problems that put them out of the race.  So we are pleased that we were able to roll with the problems and finish as well as we did.

The picture show what a little off course can cost with the front splitter from the Mitisibushi all clogged with grass from running off the dry skid pad.  This car driven by our friends Tim and Steve from Rochester, NY had a few problems this week and they finally ended up replacing a turbo, but they were able to finish the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment