Monday, May 2, 2011

The Trip continues





Sorry I haven't been blogging as much lately, but we have had problems and have had long distance days.



The two pictures posted are Scott Breneman (who I was co-driver with the last 2 years) in front of his car #35, and Rick and my new ride #55. This is my 1992 Chrome Alusion Corvette coupe.

I guess by now everyone has heard of our engine failure. After a pretty good run at Summit Point, I caught a Porsche and got held up a bit and finally completed my pass after a couple of corners. After the pass, the run to the finish line. When I crossed the finish line I looked in my mirror and saw I was trailing smoke and it didn't look good. Can be sure exactly what is wrong but it lost a cylinder and was not going to be a quick fix. We bummed a ride home with Scott's parents who had come down to see him run, and picked up my other Corvette. I haven't tracked that car for a few years, I have however used it in autocrosses a few time in the last year or so.
Anyhow, we have had a couple of very long day putting on 772 miles on Saturday night, 721 miles on Sunday and 633 miles today if we make it all the way to Daytona Beach tonight. I write this as I am in the right seat now heading down 95 with only 258 miles to go and it's only 11:02pm on the dashboard clock. We might stop a little short and finish the drive tomorrow. Since we changed cars we stopped earning points and I run at the end of each event with the group affectionately know as "all remaining cars". The one advantage of running late is you can get to the track a little later, as long as you don't miss your run group.

This looks like it may be the year for Scott to really shine. Yesterday morning after the results from Summit Point were in Scott was tied for 7 th place overall which is awesome. He had a good first run at Carolina Motorsports Park but on his second run he overcooked a corner and did a little off track excursion but recovered nicely and got going again but losing some time off what would have been a good run. As of this evening Scott is in 14th place overall, but a few of the cars ahead of him had troubles today and will likely fall out of the top ten. Since our hope of a good finish this year were dashed we are now the cheering section for Scott and Nick having a great year.

I will try to post again tomorrow night, but we have a 116 mile trip to Gainesville then a 607 mile run to New Orleans after the Gainesville event ends around 8 pm. Don't know if a motel will be in the cards for tomorrow. We might just have enough time to get to the track and sleep in the car and wait until the track opens.

ps: We may have to stop and get some more Oreo cookies to keep this trip going.

1 comment:

  1. Jim and Rick,

    Sorry to hear about the engine failure. I know that's racing, but it still has to be very dissapointing. Enjoy the rest of the event anyway.

    ReplyDelete