Thursday, May 8, 2014

Day Two Partial update

I will try to get everyone caught up on the events of the week in the next couple of posts.  I already posted on the results of day one on a former post.  Day two was a bit of a disappointment in that I only finished in the 26th spot in the morning run and the afternoon run I had a 28th place finish.  I actually improved for the afternoon session despite hearing a major miss and having the engine popping and backfiring.  After trying to diagnose the car with several One Lappers helping  us we thought it was a coil pack or something electronic/sensor related by the sound of the engine.  I especially need to give a shout out to Amanda and Adam Hennessey and Mike Hickman who tried to help figure things out.  Unfortunately when you have a heavily modified engine along with an extensive computer tune all the numbers on a scan tool don't make a lot of sense.
In the paddock at Memphis International Raceway
Thinking the problem was a sensor or something mundane I decided to participate in the drag events taking it slow just to not lose the points.  The first drag event was pure Elapsed Time only and I was one of the slowest, trying not to hurt the engine. The second drag event was bracket drags.  On the bracket drags I put a pretty slow "dial in time" and actually advanced by beating someone at a fairly low speed and saved a lot of point versus getting a dnf (did not finish).
When the drags and everything else was finished at Memphis and the rest of the One Lappers were headed to New Orleans, we started going to auto parts stores trying to find a local "motorhead' who could help us figure out the problem and get things fixed.  We were batting zero after visiting 3 parts stores.  At the third store we decided to start probing some of the components out in the parking lot when the counterman came out having remembered the name of someone he thought might be able to help.
Since it is nearly One in the morning and I need to get some sleep, I will continue "The Rest of The Story" maybe tomorrow.  Check Back.

No comments:

Post a Comment