Saturday, May 12, 2012

If it is Thursday it must be Brainerd

If it is Thursday it must be Brainerd.  Steve and I are on the go so much we forget what day it is.  When you look at the schedule and match where you are and know it's Thursday.  What a long drive from Hastings Nebraska to Brainerd Minnesota, over 600 miles.  And that was after doing the extra event at the Hastings track.  They changed the Autocross course after the Mustang Boss ran into the guard rail so those who had run had to run again so we didn't get away till about 4pm and didn't get to bed until about 2am. 

My brother Mike and my nephew Hank came up to see me run at Brainerd.  My first run at Brainerd was on the full course and I did a pretty good run finishing in 26th place.  Scott did a little better than me with a 22nd place finish.  In the afternoon we ran the shorter SCCA course and the computer gremlin bit me again shutting the car down and leaving me with another DNF (did not finish).  By the time I was able to clear the codes in the car's computer the run was finished, so no points for that run.  If I would have gotten another 26th place that would have been 250 points so this is getting costly in my points count.

At Brainerd we also did the drags, both pure elapsed time and the bracket drags.  I wasn't pleased in my pure e/t run and went out in the first round for the bracket drags.  In fact the guy who took me out is our friend in the #45 C4 Corvette, Gary Griessmann who has some history as a drag racer and is very good at it.  He lasted through 7 rounds of bracket racing and finished up in 2nd place for brackets losing in the last round.  Congratulations Gary!!!  A little earlier, Gary's partner JD White had some fun on the SCCA course in the afternoon.  He spun the car on turn one and went backwards under the bridge that is right after turn one.  Lost a little time but no harm done, he was perfectly in the center and didn't hit the walls.  Because we couldn't leave for Road America in Wisconsin until we did the drags so we didn't get going until about 5pm.  It ended up being another 2am evening till we got to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment