Sunday, May 13, 2012

A beautiful track at Road America

WOW, what a track at Road America near Elkart Lake, Wisconsin.  I was here two years ago with Scott and was impressed then but we had our power steering problem and I didn't get to run the track.  This is also one of the few tracks they won't let us ride a bike, run, walk etc.  There are a lot of elevation changes and a real challenge riding a bicycle around all the trails to get to the different corners to have a look.  I got quite a workout  They have lots of bridges and a couple of tunnels to allow you access to almost any corner of the facility.  All the bridges and tunnels really add to the aesthetics of the grounds.  The track is over 4 miles long an has several very fast sections.  My only problem is that I was really driving my tach and trying not to exceed 5,000 rpm so my computer wouldn't shut me down again.  The first session I did a "Granny lap" and regretted it afterwards.  The afternoon session I tried to be a little more aggressive and cut my time down a good bit but still had really watch the tach to prevent the gremlins from raising their ugly heads.  Our friends from Rochester, New York, Tim and Steve blew the engine in their Mitsubishi Evo and ended their week.  Robert Dubler the Swiss Chocolateer rolled his new Cadillac CTS-V Wagon on turn 8 and pretty much destroyed the car.  Lot's of airbag but Robert was not hunt.  So as bad as our luck with the computer gremlins was it wasn't as bad as some.  Now we have Milwaukee and Chicago drive time traffic to deal with and one last event which is the Dry Skid pad competition.  I did pretty well on the wet skid pad and am hoping I will do well on the dry pad.

No comments:

Post a Comment